Department: Capital Campaign
Reports Directly To: Executive Director
FLSA status: Full Time/Exempt – salaried
Shift: Includes some evenings and weekends
The Hartford Symphony Orchestra is launching a $15 million capital campaign to bolster financial security, support organizational development, and propel artistic development to new levels of achievement. The campaign includes four distinct funds to achieve these goals; endowment funding, stabilization funding, innovation funding and operations reserve funding.
The campaign will be overseen by the Capital Campaign Manager, whose responsibilities will include management of all day-to-day campaign operations, campaign coordination, the identification, research and analysis of major gift donor prospects, coordination of prospects assigned to staff and volunteer leadership, donor solicitation as assigned, and the creation of all campaign materials including a campaign brochure.
The Capital Campaign Manager will work closely with the Chairman of the Board of Directors and Executive Director, Director of Development, Campaign Leadership Committee and campaign counsel (if needed). The HSO Development staff currently includes the Director of Development, Annual Fund Manager and Corporate and Foundation Relations Manager. These three full time positions work together to plan and execute all year- round fund development activities, in order to reach HSO’s annual contributed income needs of approximately $2 million dollars. To achieve the goals set forth in the Capital Campaign, the Development Director will work closely with the Capital Campaign Manager to ensure coordinated outreach to individuals, foundations and businesses in consultation with the HSO staff, and to achieve a smooth and successful development of funding streams to meet ongoing operational needs during the campaign.
- Ensure that all next steps are identified and tracked for all campaign prospects
- Provide volunteers and staff with necessary materials for calls and meetings (prospect research as described above, strategy memos, briefings, agendas)
- Execute day-to-day management of the campaign
- Provide support for campaign leadership and volunteers
- Provide timely and accurate campaign records and reports
- Help develop and update campaign volunteer manual, campaign plan and needed volunteer training materials
- Actively help cultivate and solicit prospects for campaign gifts
- Draft, revise and coordinate the production and printing of all campaign materials
- Other duties as assigned
Additional Prospect Research Responsibilities:
- Identify and qualify major gift donors
- Recommend strategies to assigned solicitors for cultivation and solicitation
- Coordinate ongoing staff prospect management meetings and prepare all materials for campaign prospect meetings, and attend meetings as requested
- Analyze and assess information drawn from a range of research resources and Orchestra files
- Use information on assets, relationships and giving patterns to evaluate each identified prospect’s potential and likelihood to give
- Use the results of screenings and all available research services
- Prepare briefings for donor calls, special events and cultivation opportunities
- Track prospects assigned to all volunteer and staff solicitors
- Ensure that all call reports and contact updates are recorded in the data base
Education and/or Experience:
- A minimum of five years’ experience in running successful capital campaigns, preferably in arts-related organizations;
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills;
- The ability to competently and calmly handle multiple and competing deadlines as well as concurrent tasks.
- Having prior work experience within and/or knowledge of the Greater Hartford and/or Connecticut philanthropic community is an asset.
The Hartford Symphony Orchestra (HS0) and The Bushnell are Not-For-Profit, Equal Opportunity Employers, proud to serve Connecticut and its citizens.
Please submit resumes to:
The Bushnell Human Resources Department
166 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106
Or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org